Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

I remember the days...... oh, so long ago, when my babies were little, money was scarce, and time was long. I worked in the food and beverage industry. Restaurants, pubs, they were open all the time. Even on holidays. And they always needed servers. Back in those days, after your shift, you would get a nice big dinner, and if you were really lucky, you could take some home for your kids. We were always so thankful for such feasts that consisted of more than potatoes and eggs or macaroni 'n cheese, the 4 for $1 boxes.

One time I worked in a pizzaria. The best pizza around, and we had this delicious treat for Thanksgiving dinner that year. A large pie would serve dinner and either a midnight snack or even breakfast. Nothing like pizza for breakfast! We wasted not a bite! My son had his fill of pizza that day, and he had left the crunchy crusts on his plate.

I said, "Zach, are you sure you're done?"

He said, "Mommy, do I have to eat the bones?"

Extravagant waste! :) (I kept them for a snack.)

I haven't worked in the service industry for so, so long. It seems a lifetime ago. But I remember getting up early while other people were putting the turkey in the roasting pan and preparing the family meal, that I was getting dressed in my uniform, putting my hair in a ponytail, sometimes sloshing through the year's early snow and slush. I put on a smile. Without the smile I would get no tips. I needed tips.


So this Thanksgiving, I have no more babies. In fact, they have their own babies, and they are growing up fast. They live far away and we can't get together this holiday season. We went out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. It was fun seeing all the people out, wondering why they were there on this most special holiday. And maybe the servers wanted to work, maybe they had to work; whatever the case, we blessed our waitress with a nice financial blessing. We tipped 100%+ for our meal. She was so surprised! And that was fun to see.

Thank you to all of you servers who sacrifice your time and your family time to serve strangers their dinners. May you be richly blessed!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment