Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sky Lights

Rocking my almost-three-year-old son on the porch on an early summer night, we had a very interesting conversation.
We were talking about his big sister who recently flew away home to be with Jesus in Heaven. I was trying to explain to this small curious child what death meant. My baby boy was always full of questions, and I think it was only God that could have supplied most of the answers. I described what I thought Heaven might look like. Geographically speaking, all I could do was point to the sky, indicating a vast distance from earth to heaven.
It was a serene and calm evening, a slight wind nudging the clouds to the other side of the mountain. The cloud cover slowly glided by to reveal the twinkling stars of the summer night time sky.
All of a sudden, my little boy got very excited and he yelled, "Look, look, Mommy!" as he pointed his pudgy little hand heavenward.
"What, Zach, what are you pointing at?"
"The lights, Mommy! See, Tricia turned on the lights!" He made the connection to the stars and to his dearly loved big sister. How brilliant was this little boy! He showed so much insight for one so young.
Indeed, the stars shined especially bright that night! I think it is her job now to "turn on the lights." :-)) I can always look up to the sky and connect with my darling girl. If Tricia is my starlight, Zach is my Sunshine! I don't know if he knows why that is "our" song. I have always sang that song to him: You Are My Sunshine. He still is!

No comments:

Post a Comment